Development and HistoryEdit
Windows 98 was originally codenamed Memphis, and was later renamed to Windows 97.... Only it was changed to Windows 98, when Microsoft realised they were going to miss their intended 1997 release date.
- 66MHz 486 Processor, or Equivalent.
- 16MB RAM for the First Edition, 24MB RAM for the Second Edition.
- VGA Graphics System
- FAT16 or FAT32 Boot Drive, NTFS and HPFS are not supported.
Hard Drive Space RequirementsEdit
- An Upgrade from Windows 95 required approximately 195MB of free hard drive space. Disk Space needs range from 120MB to 295MB
- A Full Install of Windows 98 on a FAT16 Partition requires 225MB Free Space, but may range between 165MB and 355MB.
- A Full Install of Windows 98 on a FAT32 Partition requires 175MB Free Space, but may range between 140MB and 255MB.
- Active Desktop - Enables Web related detail on your desktop. Such as an animated .GIF file playing in your corner, or a Web based desktop background.
- Native Support for the FAT32 File System
- Native USB 1.1 Support
- DVD Drive Support
- ACPI Support
- Internet Explorer 4.0
- DirectX 6.0
- All Features of the First Edition
- Windows 98 Service Pack 1
- Internet Explorer 5
- DirectX 6.1
- NetMeeting 3.0
- WebTV was removed
|Windows 98 Version List|
|Windows 98 Version List: First Edition | Second Edition|
|Complete Microsoft Windows Service Pack List|
| Complete Microsoft Windows Service Pack List:
Windows 98: SP1
|Microsoft Operating System Versions|
|Microsoft Operating System Versions:|